[Asterisk-Users] app_flite.so

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 6 13:49:04 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 15:41 -0400, Russell Handorf wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm playing with app_flite, as I'm sure you've guessed. I have the
> sources compiled and running, headers and libraries in their respective
> places. I then compiled app_flite without any problems or errors. When I
> try to have asterisk execute the module, I get the following error
>
> Jun  6 15:29:06 WARNING[3197] loader.c:
> /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/app_flite.so: undefined symbol: new_voice
> Jun  6 15:29:06 WARNING[3197] loader.c: Loading module app_flite.so failed!

asterisk doesnt do lazy mode when loading modules (specifically linux
wont allow DLTD_LAZY the way it should but that doesnt matter).  What
this means is that it tries to resolve all the symbols when it loads the
module.  You are missing a library that asterisk was supposed to be
linked against, something isnt in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig wasnt run, or whatever.  My guess is
that its the flite engine itself that has a library that isnt being
found and loaded and thus is preventing the module from loading.

try ldd /path/to/app_flite.so  (I bet it doesnt show anything meaningful
but it might) see if there is anything shown as 'not found' in the
output.

Make sure that you installed the flite stuff correctly, whatever
app_flite requires to run, especially libraries.

> I'm using Asterisk version 1.2.1

you might want to upgrade that, there have been many things fixed (and
possibly new things broken, hard to say right now).  But if that works
for you and you lock it down it should be ok.

> The one other tidbit is that when I ran "make install" for the flite
> sources, it errored with
> Installing
> mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
> mkdir -p /usr/local/lib
> mkdir -p /usr/local/include/flite
> /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 include/*.h /usr/local/include/flite
> make: *** lib: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: *** [install] Error 2

that is probably why it doesnt work, as mentioned earlier it really
looks like a missing library, and it looks like there might have been a
problem installing the libraries, you may want to investigate why that
broke.  Was it some prefix that got messed up, was it trying to install
to /usr/local/lib which doesnt exist and it wont create the directory
(linux distros normally, but not always dont do /usr/local however BSD
ones normally do).

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!