[Asterisk-Users] Local vs. toll Dial Plan

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Mon Jun 5 15:51:26 MST 2006

Probably 100 is not large considering some situations. I am about to put
my Verizon call plan to a minimum. At that time there will be certain
exchanges that I mine as well dial local while others will be cheaper via
voip even thought they are only 10 miles away. Once I find out the rates I
need to put that logic into *. I also have multiple area code overlay's to
deal with.

My talk of efficiency is not in code timing it is in readablity and
ability to make changes easily. If I could put all the exchanges in a
table or database and refer to them as valid in a particular instance
saying in one line or a macro in * if the exten I am dialing matches any
of these then do this.

Doug

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> I don't have much exprince here, but I'd say that 100 is not a large
> number.
>
> What exactly are you trying to optimize here? How much time of the call
> setup is spent on that lookup? I tend to believe that not much. You
> don't have much to save.
>
> Maybe even the mere generation of an external connection will take time
> that is comparable with that (don't know, jut tossing out numbers).
>
> Maybe you can also optimize it by grouping common cases to patterns.
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
> icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
> +972-50-7952406
> tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *