[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Jun 5 11:36:27 MST 2006

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> ----- Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
>

>> IMO, locking the licensing to a piece of system thats often built-in,
>> has
>> been very annoying.  I think I'd be happier if it was locked to some
>> sort
>> of dongle (parallel, or more likely today, USB).  At least that way,
>> we
>> could easily move the key anytime we needed to.  It would be a bit of
>> pain any time a system needed to quickly be transfered to hardware
>> already
>> at another location.
>>

> I have proposed that a number of times internally, only to be told (vehemently) that customers would never go for it. That includes responses from our distributors and channel partners, among others. It would also dramatically increase the cost for people buying one or two licenses, so it would have be an 'alternate' registration means if it existed.
How hard is it to use a removable ethernet card for this type of usage?
Also a USB ethernet if with Linux drivers should be usable for the 1U
rackmount use case where all internal slots are in use.

Most of the complaints should be able to be remedied by and update in
docs for recommended implementation (removable ethernet, either PCI or USB).

And just make sure the g729 codec can see those ethernet ports.