[Asterisk-Users] RE: Size limitations of extensions.conf

Brent Torrenga lists at torrenga.com
Mon Jun 5 07:10:33 MST 2006

If you need to do a couple differing operations on a list of many
area/country codes, then you may consider using the database to let the dial
plan choose what to do, rather than go through so many extensions.

I mention this to keep your extensions.conf easier to read, not because I
know whether or not a long extensions.conf will break things...

> Can someone tell me the size (or any other) limitations for the
extensions.conf?

> We have managed to keep our file pretty small thanks to AGI but we are
> about to setup a bunch of call restrictions based on area and country
> code.
>
> One line per area code in the US alone adds a LOT of text to this file.
>
> Is it a bad thing to have 5 or 6000 lines of text in your
> extensions.conf on a production system?
>
> Will it affect the performance?

Sincerely,

Brent A. Torrenga