[Asterisk-Users] Meetme versus app_conference

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 22:42:58 MST 2006

I have done a lot of testing and modifications to the available
app_conference code in the last few weeks and can confirm that it is
much more efficient than using meetme in the 1.2 Asterisk tree. I have
altered app_conference to do some other things that meetme does like
entry/exit sounds and some things that meetme doen't allow you to do
like optional DTMF inband and/or RFC broadcasting to conference
participants.

Overall I have found the app_conference code easier to work with and
modify than meetme, and it seems to be a much more efficient and
streamlined conferencing platform. The icing on the cake is no pseudo
zap channels or required zaptel timer. You can also drop an AGI script
into the conference by an Originate and use it locally unlike with
meetme.

It has not been tested as much as the meetme code of course, but it
can function rather well as a meetme replacement in most cases.

In our specific experience(for VICIDIAL) we saw the overall load on
one of our servers cut in half after switching from meetme to
app_conference.

I am doubtful as to whether it will ever be included as part of
Asterisk due to the reluctance of it's original author to sign the
code over to Digium.

If you are interested here is our altered app_conference code, tested
to work on Asterisk 1.2.8:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=421962&group_id=95133

MATT---