[Asterisk-Users] Recommended Web Interface

Philippe Lindheimer p_lindheimer at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 17:43:48 MST 2006

Dakota,

  freepbx is a web application and associated core dialplan that allows you to do many things on top of asterisk by generating the dialplan customizations ontop of the base that it provides. Once you spend some time understanding it, you can usually do most things that you want within the gui and almost anything else in custom dialplan applications that you can write and will coexist with freepbx. The dialplan foundation is a bit 'fat' because of the rich features set and potential that it can provide but allows for much flexibility. It is not for everyone as it clearly has its pros and cons, but there should be very little, if anything, that you couldn't do using this as a base that you can do on a 'raw' system (since you can always write custom dialplan code).

  Asterisk at home, now named trixbox, has been using freepbx (or amp, which was the previous name for freepbx) as its main interface and dialplan, and has also added several other packages as you have mentioned.

  Freepbx does not provide an environment to easily run mulitple businesses on a single server. It does provide an ability to give different levels of access to different freepbx 'users.' However, I personally do not believe it is a good interface for end users. It may be reasonable to give a non-telephony IT admin or other knowledgable customer access to do certain basic functions, but beyond that it is not really geared for end users, IMHO. However - I think going forward you will see more end users portals that will provide access to change their settings within such an environment, so that eventually you may be able to have an enduser portal where they can set their features (forward, cw, dnd, follow-me settings, voicemail, etc.) on the web in addition to what they can do from the phone.

  philippe