[Asterisk-Users] Problems and questions with setting up a Feature Group D trunk to a Nortel DMS-10 switch

John Fulton jfulton at arctic.net
Fri Jun 2 17:52:51 MST 2006

At 03:17 PM 6/2/2006, you wrote:
>It does not appear there are any signaling modes in chan_zap that
>send a wink in between receiving the called number and the calling
>number (ANI); the FEATD modes send a wink, wait for a digit string
>(which they expect to be in the format *NNNN...*NNNNN...*) and then
>send a final wink to acknowledge the receipt of the dial string. The
>digit string is then split into called number and calling number and
>the call process continues.
>
>--
>Kevin P. Fleming
>Senior Software Engineer
>Digium, Inc.

OK, I managed to dig up the docs on Feature Group D from the Nortel
Documentation. And you are right, there is no wink between the ANI
and called number.

According to the docs, it goes:

Placing a call from 215-555-1234 to 815-555-5678

User: Dials 1-815-555-5678
Nortel: Ring the trunk
Asterisk: Wink
Nortel: Sends ID Field (ANI) KP+00+2155551234+ST (The 00 is
informational for a normal call)
Nortel: Sends Called Number KP+8155555678+ST
Asterisk: Acknowledgement Wink
Communications Extablished

Now, in the ${EXTEN} variable, what should I see at that point?
Currently it looks like I am just seeing 8155555678. Would the ANI
field show up in a different variable?

I am also running into a problem with the calls. I have a very simple
call plan in place to get this working:

[Context]
exten => _X.,1,Answer()
exten => _X.,2,SayDigits(${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,3,Hangup

Here's what I see on the CLI

     -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/6-1'
     -- Executing Answer("Zap/6-1", "") in new stack
     -- Executing SayDigits("Zap/6-1", "2063450020") in new stack
     -- Playing 'digits/2' (language 'en')
     -- Hungup 'Zap/6-1'

I never hear the digits read back to me, I get a recorded message
from the Nortel saying "There is a temporary problem with the Long
Distance carrier you are calling. blah.blah.blah"

So something isn't taking place that should. Here's my zaptel.conf
and zapata.conf as well:

Zaptel.conf
span=1,1,1,d4,ami
e&m=1-6
loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

Zapata.conf
[channels]
context=default
signalling=featdmf
usecallerid=no
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
usecallingpres=no
callwaitingcallerid=no
threewaycalling=no
transfer=no
canpark=no
cancallforward=no
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
immediate=no
context=blah
channel => 1-6
The Feature Group D signaling documentation I have is in PDF format
if you want to see it.

Thanks for any help!

John Fulton
Anchorage, AK