[Asterisk-Users] All non US 48 area codes?

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Jun 2 17:04:20 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 18:37 -0500, voiplist wrote:
> Is there a list somewhere or a way to find the following:
>
> 1- All non US 48 area codes which can be dialed as 1+10
> 2- All strange area codes which are used for premium services such as
> 900-XXX-XXXX
> 3- Anything else that should be restricted if one was to restrict all
> calls to US 48 only

The best way is to restric everything then allow what you know to be
good.  If you try to take the approach of allowing everything except
what is denied then you are in effect saying you know everything bad and
can accurately restrict it.  This often proves to be a bad decision.

There is a listing at astbill.com that I started and presumably they
have maintained since I basically abandoned it.  It has US as well as
other countries in there.  I know for a fact that its not complete on
the global numbers, but believe it to be reasonably complete for NANPA
numbers (although some wireless providers are listed as geographic, but
that shouldnt affect this application).

NANPA assigns the numbers, you can goto them for the information (they
have lists of all assigned codes, which carrier they are assigned to and
what geographic region they are from).

http://www.nanpa.com/reports/reports_cocodes_assign.html

That list is all the assignments from NANPA.  It would be your best bet
since they are much more authoritative on this than my list.  I would be
wary of any codes that have XXXXX for their rate center, as those may be
premium since they arent assigned to a specific rate center.  They may
be something else as well, however once a NPA-NXX is assigned to a rate
center it cannot change rate centers, so if it isnt listed odds are its
some special premium service number.

As for premium numbers, yes 900 is a NPA used for premium but there are
local ones, while typically 976-xxxx that isnt always the case and some
numbers, are assigned to lcoal carriers and have no rate center listed
and can be a pay per call service (such as some in NJ that now verizon
owns).  If your numbers are in LIDB that should prevent most if not all
billing from occuring on those numbers, and the call to those numbers
will be rejected.  Your carrier should be able to insert your numbers
into LIDB for you.  The carrier may not know LIDB by name (or at least
the sales drone you talk to) but they should be familiar with call
blocking for pay per call services.

hope this answers your question :)

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!