[Asterisk-Users] Polycom-Asterisk hints/presence

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Jun 1 07:20:31 MST 2006

I set up hints and presence monitoring on some Polycom phones connected
to an asterisk server with the expectation that the phones that are
"watching" other extensions would be notified when the other extension
sis ringing, in addition to the other statuses (on the phone, statuses
set by the user on the phone, not registered, etc).

I can see when the line is in use, and when it is not available, but
when it is ringing the status on the "watching" phone shows the same
status as when the extension sis in use, in other words, you can not
tell that it is ringing.

My goal was to have someone's assistant see that the boss's line was
ringing and be able to pick it up. I assumed I would have to use the
callgroup/pickupgroup to do so, although was optimistic that that the
call pickup could be programmed into the line watching button during the
"ringing" state.

Show hints does in fact show the different statuses (idle, ringing,
inuse).

Is what I am trying to accomplish possible today with Polycom/Asterisk?
If not what is the closest you can get?

I have set this up in a test environment with asterisk 1.2.8 and Polycom
SIP 1.6.6

If there is someone out there that has achieved the result I am looking
for I will gladly pay for some training <- PM me (hope I don't upset the
moderators:-))

Thanks!