[Asterisk-Users] SIP Delayed Answer

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Thu Jun 1 07:05:22 MST 2006

I have an Asterisk system connected with a CLEC that provides SIP
termination.  When placing calls from phones on the Astersik system to
the PSTN, the calling party hears ringing while the called party is
saying "hello".

The problem appears to happen when calling a POTS line.  The problem
does not seem to occur when calling a PSTN number on a T1 circuit, nor
does it occur on inter-office calls.

When I listen to the "Monitor" recordings, I hear ringing and then the
called party saying "hello? hello? hello?" while the calling party hears
ringing.  Is the ringing that the calling party hears generated by
Asterisk and not the ringing in the received audio stream?

Would this problem occur if the 200 (OK) message were delayed for any
reason?  Does Asterisk wait for the 200 message before it connects the
received RTP stream with the calling party?

Thanks,

Asterisk v1.2.4
Polycom IP501 phones
Private network between the Asterisk system and the CLEC.

--
Michael Welter
Telecom Matters Corp.