[asterisk-users] MeetMe recordings in mp3 format.

Jan du Toit jan.du.toit at decisionworx.com
Mon Jul 31 22:39:42 MST 2006

>>> We have lots of long conferences using the meetme application, resulting
>>> in the default recording format (wav) being way too BIG to work with.
>>>
>>> I have installed the astersik addon pack, in the hope of getting mp3
>>> recording support. But it only gives mp3 playback support.
>>>
>>> How can I get the recordings to be in mp3 format?
>>> Moreover, what other recording formats gives me the benifit of small
>>> size and good sound quality of mp3?
>>>

>> What most people do for this is they execute a shell script afterwards to convert it into the MP3 format. As for another format that will work for you I can't think of any.
>>

>You can try to use "lame".  Perhaps set up a cron/shell script that
>finds and converts new .wav files to mp3.

Thanks for the help.
I see the Monitor application has a variable called MONITOR_EXEC, this variable contains a the name of a script which are executed everytime the monitor application exits. The script is usually used for audio editing/mixing/conversion.
I thought problem solved, because in the name of consistency I was sure that the MeetMe application will have a MEETME_EXEC variable, which executes a script at the end of a meetme conference. But I couldn't seem to find it.

As Pierre du Plessis pointed out one can have a cron/shell script that finds and converts new .wav files to mp3, but it feels a bit iffy to me.
I want the conversion to take place the moment when the meetme finish, thus the end of the meetme must trigger the script.

How will one go about doing this?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers.