[Asterisk-Users] How to retrieve voicemail

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Jul 31 00:03:37 MST 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:23:28AM -0000, undrhil.1528785 at bloglines.com wrote:
> Hey.  Maybe you can give me a hand with configuring my Linux box to send out
> emails?  I've installed sendmail as per *several websites* and it's installed
> and running.  I've gone into the voicemail.conf file and specified to allow
> attachments, etc.  And, yes, I restarted Asterisk.  Technically, I rebooted
> the entire Linux box.  :)

And yet you provided just about zero useful information in this post.

A. Sendmail is not the only MTA. postfix, exim, qmail and some smaller
ones provide basically the same functionality and will work with the
voicemail interface. I personally prefer postfix. But generally start
with the default one for your distro as it will probbly be the most
common.

B. Don't install sendmail from source

C. Some details of your setup wouldn't hurt:

* version of Asterisk
* Linux (?) distribution and its version
* Version of Sendmail or whatever MTA you use.
* relevant parts of the configuration (e.g: of voicemail.conf, sans
  passwords)
* What do you see on sendmail's logs? Any undelivered messages in the
  mail queue (try 'mailq')? Any rejected messages in the logs?
* Can you get messages delivered to local users? Use e.g. mutt or pine
  to read messages with attachments from a terminal. Send mail to a real
  user @localhost and not to root.

BTW: I'm no sendmail expert, so I figure that the best I can do for you
is ask the obvious qustions. Next time you post, try thinking what will
some obvious follow-up questions be, and try answering them in advance.

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com     http://www.xorcom.com