[asterisk-users] Looking for carrier grade redundant solution

Christopher Aloi chris.aloi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 21:17:49 MST 2006

Thanks for the informative replies.

While Enswitch sounds like a a nice solution, I don't believe it's for our
shop.  I really would like to develop this solution internally.

My thoughts thus far are pointing towards a scalable, redundant solution
based on stock hardware.

I am thinking of running a matched server pair (1 or 2U) as the application
servers (both running a matched Asterisk build) most likely on RHL.  The
servers will contain redundant hardware (power supplies etc...)

The application servers will be backed up by a matched pair of MySQL servers
which will use MySQL replication between each other and will use a floating
IP; a heartbeat will beat between the pair and nominate one a master should
another fail.

The disk storage will be local or offloaded to an existing netApp filer.

>From the reading I've done, running SER as a proxy to the two application
servers should serve it's purpose well, providing load balancing and
monitoring of the application server behind it (should one Asterisk box
return a 3XX-5XX I would then route advance to the second application server
and take the first offline.

Question - Is running SER by best bet here? Would I be better off running a
heartbeat between the two app servers?

I am not too worried about SIP registration/expiration's of the SIP users or
peers:
1) Most of the call center traffic will be terminated out another platform;
the calls are being sent to a DID (not a SIP URL).
2) My SIP peers are all within the trusted network core and will not need to
maintain status of each other.

Here's where it gets tricky:

As agents login to a queue or become 'available' Asterisk is maintaining
their state; I believe an agents state is maintained across an Asterisk
reload.  Could an agents state be maintained should the second app server
take over for the first?

Anyone attending ClueCon next week??

Thanks,

_Chris_