[asterisk-users] need a pointer regarding scripting asterisk

shawn bright nephish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 13:02:24 MST 2006

Hello there,

i am a newbie here, but i have managed to get asterisk up and running with
one zap channel, and various tutorials with dial plans.
Cool. What i need to do is a little more complex though. We monitor field
equipment for farmers, right now we store their info in a mysql database,
and present it to them via pager, or the web. We are looking to implement an
ivr system that would call them and play a message when their equipment
changes status, and allow them to call in to check on status of certain
equipment.
They will all have the same phone number to call in, and they will login
with a 5 digit pin number, they then need to enter a two digit number to
access info about a particular piece of equipment that we monitor. Ok, so
this is a little complex for a dial plan. So i want to use python to handle
it. There are two modules out there, but i can't seem to find much in the
way of documentation for them. One is called Py-Asterisk, the other is
called pyst.

There is also a ruby module called RAGI, but i cant seem to find any docs
for it. I found one tutorial, but it required Rails to be installed.

So what i am asking for i suppose.... if anyone out there knows of some good
docs for a python or ruby solution, preferably with some examples, please
pass the links on to me.

i have the ATOF book, and its really helped me get started, but i suppose i
need examples more closely related to what i am doing.

if you have read this far, thanks for your time.

-sk