[asterisk-users] long distance ethernet & Asterisk

kaze0010 at umn.edu kaze0010 at umn.edu
Fri Jul 28 00:30:19 MST 2006

Light the fiber to get to that 2000ft mark, then use directional antennas
to cover the last 2000 ft via wireless. If necessary, you could even use
unlicensed 900 mhz gear that runs 802.11g speeds (search for the Ubiquiti
SR9), http://www.wlanparts.com/c=*/product/SR9 has it for $149 when in
stock.

Your best bet may be to try wireless the whole way and then try using the
fiber if wireless isn't going to cut it. If you end up needing repeater
stations, remember to factor in solar panel and battery costs sufficient to
last the maximum number of sunless or minimal sun days.

 On Jul 27 2006, Manrique Feoli wrote:

>another thought, if you are in a bowl, all you need to find is line of
>sight to one common place from both ends, and place a repeater there.
>(you could also set two or three steps repeating the signal within
>points which have line of sight). I'm not sure but I think one repeater
>would be much cheaper than 20.000ft of copper + extenders + poles+
>maintenance, lighning... (even thought you are in Copper Mountain !!,
>BTW nice spot ).
>
>if in the end you decide to go with ethernet, just beware of lighning!!!
>
>Brian Vincent (C) escribió:
>>
>> I know.. I know
 fiber would be ideal. We have single-mode all over