[asterisk-users] OFF-TRACK: Is VOIP -PSTN integration legal inChina

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Jul 27 09:41:06 MST 2006

Dashy wrote-
> Hi Dan,
> Thanks for the reply.
> I was just searching the MII china site to confirm
> this. But could not find any information on the same.
> They just kept talking about issuing VOIP licences to
> service providers But no focus on whether an
> enterprise can do it for itself or not.

> But just one point, Do the PSTN service provider made
> some checks on what have you installed?
Before deploying any equipment I had meetings with the local
telco in three major cities in China.  In each meeting I
expressed our interest to connect Cisco VoIP technologies, but
would follow the law and purchase an approved PBX if required.

In each meeting the telco reps were very clear.  We want to
sell service, the termination doesn't matter to use and the
law permits it.

There is/was a gray area if the equipment was used to bypass
toll charges NOT related to normal company business.  So
using our infrastructure to offer non-employees a way around
the local telco would cause problems, but that is not something
I wanted to support anyways.

> I too agre with you about India. Sad..isn't it?
Yes an no.  It made my deployment not meet my own policies and
standards, but I simply refused local PSTN service.  Our employees
can use their IP phones to communicate with their international
peers, and have to use either their cell phones or one of four
analog lines in common areas for in country calls.

Our environment permitted such a restriction.  So BNSL/VNSL lost
out on service revenues, and I lost no sleep over the decision.

Dan