[asterisk-users] Message waiting question...

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Jul 26 15:27:08 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Jean-Yves Avenard
[mailto:jyavenard at gmail.com]
Non-Commercial Discussion [mailto:asterisk-users at lists.digium.com]
Sent:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:23:01 -0300
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Message
waiting question...

> > 1. Using ODBC storage to store your voicemail in a database and have each
> server setup against that database. The MWI will just query the database to
> see if there are messages, and since there will be... MWI will be sent to
> the phone.
>
> This may be a disturbing solution, I have over 30 voicemail on server2
> and I guess I would have to convert all of them first.
> This may be the easiest solution if you can set up a database
> voicemail for one user only...

It's all or nothing when it comes to this stuff. If you choose database, every user must use it. It basically takes over the relevant parts of app_voicemail when you compile it in.

> > 2. Using the ability to execute an outside application that exists right
> now and using your own method to communicate back to turn on MWI (maybe
> generating a SIP NOTIFY to poke the phone with?).
>
> That sounds quite complicated...

It's sort of complicated and ugly... yeah

> > 3. Share the voicemail directory over something like NFS.
> How often does asterisk check the content of the voicemail directory?
> the two machines connect over a 512kbit/s link, I'm afraid there could
> be a bandwidth problem.

chan_sip requests the count fairly frequently, dunno how much traffic it would actually generate though.

> JY

Joshua Colp
Digium