[asterisk-users] PRI vs "Digital Trunk"

Barry D. Hassler Barry.Hassler at hcst.com
Tue Jul 25 21:43:09 MST 2006

Thanks for the answers folks. I think I now understand that indeed, the
"Digital Trunk" is really nothing more than the same analog services,
just delivered digitally. no outbound ANI (of especial interest),
etc....

This is in the Dayton Ohio area, major telco vendor. I'll have to pursue
the differences with them further, as the pricing is about double for
the PRI vs the "Digital Trunk". I'd like to move 7 analog lines to a
digital interface, but just can't cost-justify it in this scenario :-(

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 15:25 -0400, Barry D. Hassler wrote:

> Hi, can someone enlighten me as to the difference between a PRI and a
> "Digital Trunk" (other than cost)?
>
> I do understand PRI (B-channel signaling, incoming/outgoing call setup,
> D channel for voice/data, etc), but I'm not quite sure how that compares
> with what my vendor is calling a "Digital Trunk" (specifically in
> contrast to a PRI). The PRI is about twice the cost.
>
> If this is just a channelized T1 (24 64k voice/data "channels'), would
> they each be assigned a specific phone number, or is there further
> flexibility in sending/receiving calls, callerid (receive or send), etc?
>
> Feeling ignorant here....
>
> Thanks!

Barry D. Hassler
President