[asterisk-users] Re: Still voice with echo

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Tue Jul 25 11:32:21 MST 2006

Carlos Alberto Bernat Orozco wrote:
> Hi group
>
> Thanks Marty for your colaboration. I tried the my voice call with 2
> extensions and SJphone as softphone as you know. For the test I used a
> normal mic plug into the mic port from a laptop and made the call to
> another pc wich has second extension. At first time I believed what you
> told me about the feedback, but it's constant no matter if I put away
> from the speakers. The voice sounds with echo and keeps constants when I
> say :"hello" and sound very bad.

I had similar echo problems using my laptop but it was resolved by a
combination of using a headset (mic and headphones) and turning down the
mic gain.  It takes very little pickup from the speakers to the mic to
cause an objectionable amount of background echo/noise so possibly just
moving the mic away some is not sufficient.

Also you might make sure that the PC has enough power to deliver the
sound fast enough (would the echo test in asterisk check this?).  That
is, if I use an old slow box that does not run a soft phone very well
you will hear slurring of the sound probably as the jitter buffer tries
to compensate for the breaks in the data stream?

Mike