[asterisk-users] RDNIS and IAX2

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Tue Jul 25 07:34:08 MST 2006

I'll probably get blasted for this. I hope I'm wrong, and then a little blasting is ok. It appears that Asterisk may have let us down again as a 'carrier grade' solution.

1. User A calls User B. The call is bridged.
2. User B wants to transfer User A to user C. When this happens, User B's phone sends a new call to Asterisk with RDNIS info contained in the SIP INVITE header.
3. However, user C isn't registered on the local system, so we do a DUNDi lookup to get an IAX2 path to the location of user C
4. We then connect to this DUNDi supplied IAX path so that we can dial user C, who is registered on a different Asterisk system.

It appears from this link that the Asterisk RDNIS implementation is completely broken.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/RDNIS

Most importantly, RDNIS info is not passed along the IAX channel when the call is trunked to the Asterisk system where User C is registered. This makes it impossible to tell that this was a transferred call, and I'll spare the details right now as to why this breaks a whole lot of other things that we are trying to implement (like resetting the caller id to the original caller and so on).

Doug