[asterisk-users] How to connect XLite with another public IP?

Pablo L. Arturi parturi at bairesweb.com
Sun Jul 23 11:47:53 MST 2006

>Now, we have installed "Asterisk" and using for International dialing with Second connection. Now, I have installed "XLite" softphone in our staff systems. I tried >to connect our XLite with our Asterisk server. But, our XLite softphone is unable to connect with Asterisk server. I have given Asterisk server public IP in my >XLite Domain field. But, it is not connecting and is giving an error i.e., " Registration error: 408 - Request timedout". I tried using firewall and without using >firewall. Please tell me how to configure my XLite softphone to connect with my Asterisk server (With other public IP)?

Hello. I am very new to this, but I realize that x-Lite hasn't much to configure apart from username, authentication username (which is the same as username), password and domain / proxy (your public * here).

Are you behind a dsl (or the like) router? do you have in your workstations assigned IP by dhcp?

I would share a little experience.

At first time, I installed asterisk with freePBX, and I wasn't able to configure my softphone (x-lite) to connect to *, and outside my lan (yes, with a dlink dsl router in dmz) I was able to connect to it. So, in order to start testing with a clean install, I just removed everything and reinstalled asterisk without anything else, and I can connect now.

Doing some search, the nat=[yes|no] externip, localnet parameters apprears.

I dont remember exactly what I had configured in my freePBX install to make comparisions, but you should (I guess) configure your sip or iax useras with:

nat=yes
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no

A timeout means that you can't even connect to asterisk, which could mean a network problem (most probably). You could try to connect to asterisk from outside your network, if that works, then your problem is with nat or firewall. You can enter the * console with 'asterisk -rvvv' to see what happens when you try to connect.

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Pablo