[asterisk-users] Germany VOIP provider

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Fri Jul 21 16:00:36 MST 2006

Thameem Ansari wrote:
> I would like to get some details about voip providers in local
> germany. I am moving to germany and looking for some unlimited
> land+mobile minutes from provider. I also need a german DID with
> unlimited inbound and flat monthly rate. If anyone know anything,
> please reply.

I've been quite successful with www.sipgate.de.  You can access their
English language site from www.sipgate.co.uk.  If you're not in Germany,
you can still get a 01801 number, which should cost the same as a local
call anywhere in Germany.  Sipgate's DIDs are completely FREE.  Mine
have been up for around two years, but occasionally they'll be out a for
a few hours.

For calls to Germany, I use several of the US providers.  Landlines are
1.2 cents/minute.  For cellphones, some providers are cheaper than
others.  E+ (+49177) runs just under 20c/minute on one of the providers
I'm using (it's running automated on a home-built LCR right now, so I
don't have that info handy).  Prices vary between VOIP providers as well
as called network.  Per-minute rates are so high because the cost of
termination is carried by the caller and incoming calls to German
cell-phones are free to the callee.  I doubt there is a single plan in
existence that allows for unlimited calling to German cellphones.

That said, for my needs, the prepaid per-minute plans are perfect -- I'm
doing between 200-300 minutes to Germany each month for less than $5.

See what you *really* need, but don't expect to be able to cut
cell-calls below 15c/minute.  But since you're moving there, you may
want to look at the landline plans available -- some are quite
attractive, as I hear from family over there.