[asterisk-users] Asterisk dead-air issues with Digium TE110P and IVR/meetme/internal directory-

Maxx Lobo maxx at arraycomm.com
Thu Jul 20 19:16:51 MST 2006

I've developed an issue I was hoping someone on this list might be able
to shed some light on.

I have two identical asterisk servers: CentOS 4.3, single TE110P card.
I've also got a SIP trunk configured with TelaSIP for in/out calling.
Both boxes have been running the same versions of Asterisk, Zaptel, etc.
In short, no difference between the two. One box is the primary system,
all of the SIP clients on the network associate to it. I'll call this
one PBX01. The other box, PBX02, is a test platform to install new
releases on, and to make sure everything works as before before any
upgrades take place (and new bugs get introduced ;-))

The plan was to get the system up and running using a VoIP trunk, then
cut the T1 line over to the Digium TE110P card and keep the VoIP trunk
as a backup for emergencies.

Originally both boxes were running A at H 2.7, and there were no issues. I
upgraded to A at H 2.8, and got hit by the spinlock.h kernel issue as a
result of a yum update. No big deal, ran the fixes, everything seemed to
work okay. VoIP trunk still in place. There were no errors with zaptel,
and the module for the TE110P was detected on boot. Absolutely no
asterisk errors either.

Then I noticed that any voice menu-related items were broken - IVR menu
was broken when outside callers called the VoIP trunk number, Meetme
conferencing calls were also 'broken' in that there was nothing but
silence when I called a working conference number, and internal
directory calls to 7777 were also receiving dead air.

I tried a number of things, none of which worked - so on a whim, I
removed the TE110P. Amazingly, everything worked fine when the box
restarted. Meetme conferencing, external calls, internal directory,
everything.

Thinking that the card may have developed hardware issues, I tried the
TE110P from the standby server (PBX02). The same issues returned right away.
So then I tried swapping servers, to make sure there weren't some
hardware issues cropping up. Same result again - worked fine without the
TE110P, did not work with it.
Now I tried upgrading the test box to Trixbox 1.1, and upgrading the
zaptel to 1.2.7 from source. Same issues all over again.

I've seen the suggestions on Kennonsoft
<http://www.kennonsoft.org/2006/07/trixbox-v10-quickie-how-to.htm> about
the meetme conferencing directory permissions, and I've made all of
those changes. It didn't work before the changes or after - same problem
all along.

The modules are getting loaded fine as evidenced by lsmod:
--------
[root at pbx01 asterisk]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
wcte11xp               30496  0
zaptel                196740  3 wcte11xp
crc_ccitt               6081  1 zaptel
--------
No asterisk errors in the logs, either. No build errors when rebuilding
zaptel-1.2.7. I've tried both kernel 2.6.9.34-0.1 and 2.6.9.34-0.2
(currently running the latter on both servers). I can post the full logs
if necessary.

The servers had sound cards in them, I removed these and made sure they
were removed from both modprobe.conf and by kudzu. I didn't think this
was the issue, but it was sound related and I am grasping at straws.

Please tell me I'm missing something basic and what I can do to fix it.
Without the TE110P cards I can't cut things over as I intended to, and
I'm all out of ideas on this.

Thanks-

--Maxx