[asterisk-users] intel vs amd motherboards

Woodoo People .pGa! wpeople at Shadow.microsystem.hu
Wed Jul 19 08:04:10 MST 2006

As we are talking about pbx boxes (for large office/enterprises/ maybe ITSP?)
i think we are using server grade boxes (like hp ml3xx or bigger)

I have some servers with fan on cpu heatsink, but most of them are using
only heatsink on cpu, and redundant fans.

I think, we need some real life comparison to decide, what to choose.
i'm not a cpu expert, but who knows, if dual amd is better for transcoding
or dual xeon? i think it can as big weight on paralellisation as big weight
on horsepower also, don't you think?

Another thing, is what to choose? another cpu (so go for dual, or quad)
or bigger cache inside? (probably another 3.2G/1M xeon would cost less, than
replace the existing with a 3.2G/2M)

So i would welcome (and maybe pay for) a real life test what says:
AMD opteron will do x paralell alaw->g.729
dual opteron, fx66

and the same for
intel pentium extreme, duo core, xeon with 512k cache, xeon with 1M cache, and
probably with 2. and also Xeon DP.

--
WoodOO-[P]an[G]alaktikan[A]gent-People <][> http://shadow.pganet.com
wpeople at shadow.pganet.com]iCQ#33118021[wpeople.on.iRCNet]wpeople at RedHat.users