[asterisk-users] Re: Using dproxy to solve "no DNS hangs everything" problem?

Brent Torrenga lists at torrenga.com
Wed Jul 19 06:36:41 MST 2006

Yeah, I thought dnsmasq was the cure, too. We had an internet outage last
week. It was odd, our ISP (AT&T) changed out static IP's (don't ask... No
one knows why... At least I figured out what was going on...). Thus, our
modem/router was whacked, as well as our firewall. So, I think every piece
of hardware saw the link as being up, but of course routing was not
operating. For clarity, dnsmasq is installed on our firewall, a PC that
routes traffic to our modem/router.

As far as I understand, the way dnsmasq works is that it proxys DNS requests
to your ISP's DNS servers (or wherever). At some point, if dnsmasq
determines that the upstream DNS servers are down/unreachable, then it will
respond to DNS requests with a failure/immediately timeout, thus precluding
Asterisk from hanging while it waits for a DNS query. Sounds like a good fix
for our problem, right?

Well, last week it did not behave well. Calls on Zap channels came in, they
would sit for several seconds (maybe 20-30, oddly some callers sat through
that silence just waiting!), then when no SIP phones could be found it would
go to the IVR (all attendants are busy, leave a message, etc...). All
connectivity with the SIP phones was gone, even trying to initiate a call
from the phones (Cisco _79[46]0's) to the Asterisk server was out. All
connectivity on the local LAN was good, even dnsmasq serving the local DNS
names.

Can anyone explain why Asterisk would not ring the SIP phones on our LAN?
The phones all register with the Asterisk server, the Asterisk server does
not need to look anything up to contact the IP's of the SIP phones on the
local LAN. I just don't know which direction to turn here.

>Thanks Brian for your work, I have had the same problem I installed
>dnsmasq and I *think* the problem is gone now, I'm repeating I think,
>I'll only know when the internet goes down again.

Sincerely,

Brent A. Torrenga

Torrenga Engineering, Inc.
907 Ridge Road