[asterisk-users] Testing 911?

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Sun Jul 16 23:38:27 MST 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:05 PM, voiplist wrote:

> It seems that 911 is important enough that when setting up an Asterisk
> box, it should be tested.
>
> How do you go about testing 911 dialing without getting fined for
> calling for a non-emergency reason?
>
> Is there some circumstances where you can ask permission from the city
> ahead of time?
>
> I realize this may be a real stupid question but I have not seen this
> discussed and I am curious.
Actually, not stupid at all.  I know in one case I have configured 911
to dial on a 7 digit number for the local police, and I spoke to the
police to let them know this is my setup.

In other words,  when I dial 911 from my house (shoreline, Washington
state USA) I don't want it to dial 911 from my office (FXO is in
Seattle) as that would be calling the wrong police to the wrong
address.  I requested from the Shoreline police that they make a record
of the fact that calls to them from my seattle number are actually
coming from my shoreline address.

Hopefully I never need to test this under fire...