[asterisk-users] Setting a threshold for asterisk to take ZAP line off hook ?

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Sun Jul 16 11:49:51 MST 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Maxim Vexler wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I'm trying to setup asterisk as an answering machine.
>
> How can I set asterisk to Answer() incoming call ONLY after specified
> count of ring cycles ?
>
> In the current situation I have the PBX connected to a home line,
> where POTS device are also connected on the same circuit. What I'm
> trying to do is allow a grace period where a POTS device could be
> picked up and those stop the ring indication on the line by this
> causing asterisk to not answer the call.
>
> In present situation even if the incoming phone call is taken off hook
> by a POST device asterisk still starts playing its incoming call IVR
> after the specified(where?) number of seconds.

I don't think you can do that, since asterisk has no way to know when
the shared PSTN line is answered by your analog phones...

I don't think asterisk "counts" the rings, as much as it waits for
"answered" status, which it is never going to see in your current
configuration.

I am a relative newb though,  so maybe someone else here has a
brilliant idea for you?