[asterisk-users] FXS adapters and Polycom phones

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Thu Jul 13 05:57:24 MST 2006

Mike wrote:
> I`m looking for a SIP-PSTN adapter, basically to switch a customer
> from a cheap PBX to mine, but resuing their own Norstar PSTN phones.
> They have 10 phones.  >From a price point of view, it seems that 10
> individual GrandStream SIP adapters is the best way to go, but it
> seems so inelegant to me.
>
> What is recommended ?

Not sure about the others, but I've had decent experiences with the
Linksys PAP2 series, and they aren't that expensive.

> Second question: I have a GrandStream GXP-2000, that despite what
> everybody says I love.  I am still looking for a replacement, if only
> because it doesn`t look as good and it does have a few quirks.  I was
> looking at Polycoms, but some questions are unanswered by looking at
> their datasheet.
> - Does the Polycom 501 have an integrated router (like the GXP-2000,
> latest firmware, does)

Not entirely sure what you're asking here.  If you're wondering if it
has a two NIC interfaces (a pass-through for the PC) then yes.

> - Can you have more than one SIP/account on the phone, each ringing in
> a way that lets the user know which account is ringing? (GXP2000 does
> it by making it possible to have each "line" linked to a separate SIP
> account)

The 501 is capable of having 3 different line appearances, each of which
can have a primary and secondary server configured for them.

--
Jamin W. Collins