[asterisk-users] IAX2 vs TDMoE

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 01:50:50 MST 2006

We have used TDMoE before across 3 servers connected to each other
over a dedicated network. It does work, but there were several issues
that caused us to stop using it and we switched to IAX and/or
crossover T1/E1s from server to server. At it's peak we were using two
TDMoE E1s(over a single ethernet card) to have upto 60 concurrent
channels going over TDMoE to a single Asterisk server from two other
Asterisk servers with good results.

One thing to consider about TDMoE is that Digium doesn't really
support it or test for it anymore. There are still bugs in it that
cause load issues if the connection is unexpectely terminated. Also,
you need to use TDMoE on it's own dedicated network and on it's own
dedicated Ethernet devices not connected to your normal network.

As for your problem, TDMoE is a Zap channel so you will probably not
see the issues that you are currently seeing with IAX2. It is
something you should try to see if it will work for you, but keep in
mind it might be killed off in a future version of Asterisk because of
neglect.

The one supporter of TDMoE's survival is RedFone which makes an add-on
quad-T1/E1 box that communicates to an Asterisk server through TDMoE.
They are about the only company that has an interest in keeping TDMoE
going.
http://www.red-fone.com/

MATT---