[asterisk-users] several asterisk servers questions

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:09:22 MST 2006

We have a 3 stage implementation plan with a customer, we're still
documenting the structure, it is of course subject to change so I
welcome all your comments on this matter.
customer has one main building and 5 more. All inter-connected with
fiber optics links for data/voice traffic.
Main building holds the datacenter.
proper network gear (switches and routers) are being deployed by
another company to the customer.

On stage one, the customer wants to have a FAX server. They read about
using asterisk as a fax server and also read about Hylafax they also
read about astfax+trixbox. The setup must compete against MS windows
solutions that do fax-to-email and email-to-fax, we must keep
deployment of software to the client machines to a minimum.

The customer is looking to deploy an E1 so faxes have 30 channels to
receive and send faxes, the server must communicate with an MS
Exchange 2003 server.

On stage two, there will be an asterisk server to handle PSTN calls
(in and out)using E1 lines /about 4 E1s. We think that due to the load
(500+ SIP users in main building) voicemail should be handled by a
different server.

Then On stage 3, another server???, serving SIP users in the main
building to connect to the other buildings that will also have a
little less powerful IP-to-SIP and/or IP-to-FXS asterisk (those server
may have PSTN connectivity).

Some form of config backups and/or disaster recovery plans must be
documented as well as taking images of the RAID systems that will be
using asterisk.

I'm expecting full server details on this one, because the customer
will provide the equipments (servers).

So your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780