[asterisk-users] Global variables and AGI

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Sun Jul 9 22:14:29 MST 2006

Kevin Smith wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I know that functions like set_variable and get_variable (using php
> with phpagi) only apply to the channel variable. What I need to do is
> reset a global variable I have in our system. I have a script that is
> going to determine when this will happen, but I just have to make it
> happen. Assuming that I cannot update the variable via the script, it
> is there a way  I can make a call to the system, such as a call file,
> and place it in the context of the dialplan that I need to change the
> variable? If so, is there anything special I need in the call file for
> that to work? Or is there a easier/better way to do this that I
> haven't thought of.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks,
> Kevin
As Timebandit pointed out --
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+Set
or SetGlobalVar in 1.0.x

If most of the interaction with that variable occurs through agi, you
might also want to consider storing it outside of Asterisk.  I've stored
a good number of values in mysql for an asterisk application before.  If
most of the interaction occurs within the dialplan and/or you're trying
to avoid agi, you could also use the asterisk database directly with
DBPut and DBGet.