[asterisk-users] Choppy MOH (Cisco gateway)

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Sun Jul 9 19:42:14 MST 2006

I upgraded one of the boxes to 1.2.9.1 and using native MOH I still get
it.  I made sure to upgrade zaptel, etc as well.

I do have something of interest to note...
Placing the call on hold then taking it off hold and back on the music
is ok (doing that once it gets choppy) of course this is not practical
since the person using hold won't know if it's choppy.  It then gets
choppy again if you wait 15-20 secs.

I have 2 ways of making outbound calls from all of the boxes, and I did
the following via 1.2.9.1 and 1.2.4

1) Send the outbound call to the Cisco and send out via the PRI (sip
phone ulaw to Cisco ulaw out the PRI)
2) Dial "long distance" to a provider using g729 (Polycom to Asterisk
ulaw, Asterisk transcoding to g729 to provider)

If I call from a sip phone OUT to my cell via the long distance provider
I get no choppiness.   I am not able to get inbound calls from the
provider so I can only test one way.

So I then switched talking to my Cisco via g729 (letting asterisk
transcode ulaw to g729 and also g729 all the way through) and voice is
fine but MOH is still choppy.  So it must be something with the Cisco
maybe?  IOS version is
Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3660-IS-M), Version 12.3(14)T6,
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I have setup for the codecs:
voice class codec 1
 codec preference 1 g711ulaw
 codec preference 2 g729r8

incoming dial-peer:

dial-peer voice 1 pots
 description Match all incoming calls, set DID
 incoming called-number .T
 direct-inward-dial
 forward-digits extra

dial-peer voice 16 voip
 description to the asterisk server
 destination-pattern <phone#>
 voice-class codec 1
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:<ip>
 dtmf-relay sip-notify rtp-nte

and outbound:

dial-peer voice 10000 pots
 description Outbound via PRI
 destination-pattern .T
 port 1/0:23
 forward-digits all

Could this have something to do with the Cisco suppressing the stream
using silence suppression...I read somewhere that Asterisk relies on Sip
packets for MOH???

There is not a bandwidth issue, the 3660 and boxes are on the same
switch VLAN w/ DSCP enabled.

Bill