[asterisk-users] Help with router setup on new asterisk box

Bob Chiodini bchiodini at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 19:16:08 MST 2006

Al Lougher wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I hope someone out there can help. I've just built a new asterisk
> server running asterisk at home <mailto:asterisk at home> 2.7. and I'm
> having real difficulty setting up my cable modem for the internet
> connection. I have 1xcable modem and 1xnetgear router and 1xPCI nic
> card. I simply set the netgear up as 192.168.0.1 (which is default
> anyway) and plug the cable from the modem into the internet/input port
> on the router. Then I connect any port on the router to the PCI card
> on the asterisk box. Next I run netconfig and set the gateway to
> 192.168.0.1. Reboot everything, but I cannot ping any internet site. I
> can though ping the router.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Al.
Al,

Did you set an IP address on your asterisk box?  You could also let it
get its address via DHCP.  Probably the router defaults to being a DHCP
server.  That has the advantage of getting the proper DNS servers from
your ISP and the proper default route.

You did not specify who you cannot ping or whether it's by name or IP
address.

Bob...