[Asterisk-Users] Do you need a licence to connect a Ciscohardphone to Asterisk ?

Cory Andrews Cory at VOIPSupply.com
Sat Jul 8 07:42:55 MST 2006

In my interpretation of the oft confusing Cisco licensing structure for phones, the license was originally created to function much like a COA with a piece of Microsoft software.  When adding a client phone to a CallManager or CallManager Express network, the user is required to have a license for the client phone.  Cisco phones are sold pre-bundled with a license in their "CH1" form.  If there is a "CH1" or "CCME" attached to the part number, it is a licensed bundle.

Cisco also offers "spare" versions of their phones, which do not have the "CH1" or "CCME" annotation to the part number.  These are unlicensed phones.

Cisco phones do not currently ship with SIP firmware loaded.  In order to register your phone with Cisco and obtain a login for their TAC and access firmware downloads, you must have a licensed phone.  "Spare" versions do not allow you registration with Cisco for access to firmware.

Cory J Andrews
VOIPSupply.com
454 Sonwil Drive
Buffalo, NY 14225