[asterisk-users] Re: Digium Hardware Reliability

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 5 10:32:02 MST 2006

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 00:31:36 -0400,
  "M.Hockings" <veeshooter at hockings.net> wrote:

> Yup that looks like it is in our future now.  I had thought it was a
> misconfiguration of the UPS software on the new machine but apparently
> not.  The battery has died in the UPS.  With two machines and displays
> it could run them for almost an hour and I have it set to run for 10
> minutes then start shutdown then power down the ups 5 min later.

If you are using 'nut' (Network UPS Tools) you should be able to have your
system monitor the UPS. So that you shutdown on low battery rather than
after a fixed period of time. Also on some UPS's they will report if the
battery needs to be replaced and I believe nut can notify you of that
condition. (Though there may be a visual indication on the UPS as well.)
Some UPS's will even let you hotswap batteries.

If you want to go this route, you probably want to check for how well the
UPS is supported by nut. I recently bought a UPS. I went with an MGE Systems
Nova 1100 because I wanted a line interactive UPS to get protection against
out of spec voltages but didn't want to pay for the better units that provide
truer sign wave output and have more flexible control options and because they
are supporting the nut project and provide documentation on the protocols
their UPS use (unlike, say Belkin). However, the Nova is only properly
supported in the development version of nut, so you need to be willing to
get that version if you want to use it. The Nova is a fairly new model and I
expect that is why the support in the latest released version of nut is broken.
I would expect support for older UPS's to be better in the latest release.