[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Hardware Reliability

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sun Jul 2 22:39:53 MST 2006

Raymond McKay wrote:

>> Also as Bruno suggests I'll pick a new UPS that has the phone line
>> protection as well, though are phone lines are underground to the
>> local station even though we are in a rural location.  Cheaper than
>> hanging it on poles I guess.
>>

> A little tidbit of trivia here.... I've found the underground lines in
> some rural areas were a somewhat expensive experiment tried by some
> telcos.  In some rural places in SC it was tried because the strong
> thunderstorms in the area tended to frequent damage above ground lines.
> The thought  was putting them underground, while a bit more costly,
> might save some money in the long run.  So in certain sections they
> tried running underground.  As a result, those areas of the state
> usually now can't get things like DSL because it costs them too much to
> repull the grade of line to support it.  That is until they suffer water
> damage such as in places like Mississippi after the last hurricanes.
>
> But I digress...
>

> Raymond McKay
> President
> RAYNET Technologies LLC
> http://www.raynettech.com
> (860) 693-2226 x 31
> Toll Free (877) 693-2226

That is very interesting.  I used to have two PSTN lines here but now we
use one PSTN and one VOIP nicely unified through Asterisk so people
don't really know which they are using.

I am unable to get DSL here, so maybe thats a clue as to why.  The line
we got rid of would not work well in the spring unless you first phoned
it from the first line to dry it out or something a bit then you could
dial over it.  The "bad" line was an expensive commercial line too that
apparently went to a more local switch.  The more reliable one that we
kept goes to a station about 12 or so km away and is quite noisy which
caused me a lot of grief to get the right echo can settings.

Mike