[Asterisk-Users] SIP qualify time - best practices?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jul 3 03:55:50 MST 2006

Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:
> For the typical home user who has a SIP ATA behind (usually) a Linksys
> home router/firewall, what's the best practice "qualify=" time we should
> be running on the server, to keep the home user's NAT happy?
>
> The default, 2 seconds, is way too short (generates too much net traffic).
>
> I am wondering how high we can go, and still make the majority of our
> customers' home nat's happy. 1 minute? 2 minutes? 10 minutes?
>
> Thanks for opinions,

Based on my limited experience over the last several years, it would
appear the Linksys products are not consistent in what they've used for
nat table timeout values. It seems to vary by s/w version and by model.

I'd suggest starting at something like 60 seconds, evaluate, and reduce
that value to find an acceptable value. (I'm running at 5 seconds on two
Linksys boxes without issues, but I've not attempted to identify the
upper limit on these.)