[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Hardware Reliability

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sat Jul 1 21:14:18 MST 2006

Brian Capouch wrote:

>> Point taken.  I was not so much point fingers but asking what my
>> expectation should be and maybe shedding some frustration.  I don't
>> really have a lot of experience with this kind of communications gear
>
> All the more reason for you to fully inform yourself *first*, and then
> start posting negative drivel to a public mailing list.
>
> B.

Fully inform myself of exactly what? Googling for TDM400P diagnostics
didn't get far and before posting I had already removed and reseated the
card and all it's connections, verified the configuration and all that.
  I did all this because my background in chip and board design tells me
that a great many problems are primarily loose connections.  After all
that the card was NOT responding and appeared dead.  I would expect that
even a transient on the PSTN line would only blow the FXO daughter card
and not leave the PCI card itself unresponsive.

Even now, given that I don't know what caused the problem or what solved
the problem (for the time being). I might expect that powering the
system off may cause software errors due to partially written files but
I would NOT expect it to damage the hardware, particularly just a comm
card.  Hence *my* feeling for *this* card is that it is unreliable.  It
is however reassuring to hear that overall the reliability of the Digium
hardware is good.

Mike