[Asterisk-Users] RE: Euro-ISDN

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Tue Jan 31 12:21:49 MST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Aldo Bergamini wrote:
> asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com is believed to have said:
>

> >The active cards do the ISDN protocol stuff on board, so the host CPU/driver
> >does not need to do that -> better performance, less interrupts.
> >The AVM cards do not have such DSPs on board, so no echo-cancel.
> >But the Eicon DIVA Server cards do. They do analog Fax/Modem, echo-cancel,
> >DTMF-detection, voice codec, line interconnect/mixing even to other cards,
> >... with the on boards DSP. chan_capi-cm is supporting most of the features
> >and will do more soon.
> >
> >Armin
>

> While we are at the subject another couple of simple related question.
>
> Are HFC-S cards active? I got one for a very low price, so that I
> imagine it will be NOT the case...

No, these cards are passive. The protocol handling must be done by
the hosts CPU / driver.

> What cards do support operation of an ISDN phone set? (I imagine there
> will be something similar to the FXS-FXO stuff of the analog world in
> the ISDN land).

For that you need cards operated in NT-mode. The driver / protocol must
support this, but the card too.
HFC-S cards do as far as I know (I don't know if all do).
When talking about active cards, I only know of Eicon cards
supporting this.

Armin