[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail greetings

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Tue Jan 31 11:28:10 MST 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Michaël Gaudette wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I`ve been trying to figure out voicemail, but there is something
> that is obviously escaping me. Using * 1.2.3, standard built with
> asterisk-addons.
>
> I have two voicemails, one is 702 and one is 705.  Both in
> different contexts, but that doesn`t matter (I think).  The point
> is in the /voicemail/context/702 directory I have the files
> unavail.gsm, temp.gsm and greet.gsm.  While in the other directory,
> I have greet.gsm, unavail.gsm and busy.gsm.
>
> So in one directory I have temp.gsm and in the other busy.gsm.  How
> did that happen and what does it mean?  What i found out is that in
> the one voicemail that doesn`t have temp.gsm, when somebody tries
> to leave me a message that person gets an asterisk greeting (as
> opposed to one with my wonderful voice).
>

> Also, WHEN are the file used? I have the option of recording my
> busy message and my unavailable message, but really, how does
> Asterisk choose which one I am? (unavailable vs busy)?
>
> This isn`t clear to me, hopefully somebody has a quick and simple
> answer.

simplified answer
If the phone rings then goes to vm it is unavailable. If the phone
does not ring it is busy.

More detailed
If you phone is set to allow n calls to ring in and n+1 tries, then
the phone will return a busy
If your phone is in do not disturb it will return a busy
If you phone is unreachable it will return a busy

Mostly depends on your phones exactly how/when things happen, but
definately controllable from the dialplan also

ymmv