[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail greetings

Michaël Gaudette michael.gaudette at virtutel.ca
Tue Jan 31 09:03:07 MST 2006

Hi,

I`ve been trying to figure out voicemail, but there is something that is
obviously escaping me. Using * 1.2.3, standard built with asterisk-addons.

I have two voicemails, one is 702 and one is 705.  Both in different
contexts, but that doesn`t matter (I think).  The point is in the
/voicemail/context/702 directory I have the files unavail.gsm, temp.gsm and
greet.gsm.  While in the other directory, I have greet.gsm, unavail.gsm and
busy.gsm.

So in one directory I have temp.gsm and in the other busy.gsm.  How did that
happen and what does it mean?  What i found out is that in the one voicemail
that doesn`t have temp.gsm, when somebody tries to leave me a message that
person gets an asterisk greeting (as opposed to one with my wonderful
voice).

Also, WHEN are the file used? I have the option of recording my busy message
and my unavailable message, but really, how does Asterisk choose which one I
am? (unavailable vs busy)?

This isn`t clear to me, hopefully somebody has a quick and simple answer.

Mike