[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 488 ata?

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Mon Jan 30 16:42:39 MST 2006

> I played with FXO on the HT488 a bit, but didn't have a whole
> lot of luck.  We had a bit of a problem with echo, but more
> seriously the thing kept getting itself into a variety of
> wedged states: sometimes it would lock up altogether (usually
> with its button lit up), and sometimes it would refuse to
> auto-answer calls coming in on the FXO interface.

I tried a pair of HT488s at a client's premises about 3 months ago in an
attempt to solve hangup issues I was having with a TDM400. It did actually
solve the hangup issues, there was practically no echo, but like Phil
Blundell, I found the thing would routinely decline to answer incoming calls
after a few hours. Resetting the unit would clear the problem for another
few hours, then rinse and repeat.

> I've just bought an SPA-3000 to replace the HT488, though I
> haven't installed it yet.  I'm hoping that I'll have a better
> experience with this one.  If that works out, I might toss
> the 386s in favour of SPA-2000s as well.

I have an SPA-3000 connected to my home phone line since the asterisk server
in my workshop is some distance away from where the line comes into the
house. In general it's been a reliable piece of kit, only being restarted on
the rare occasions there's been a power cut or I've installed new firmware.
Unfortunately, echo cancellation isn't great - there's a noticable echo on
every call, and from time to time the line doesn't hangup properly. I'm sure
with a few hours spent tweaking the unit I might be able to sort those
issues out.

The FXS side of all these units (HT-286,386,486,488 and SPA-3000) all seem
to work fine.

My inclination would be to go with the SPA-3000 if you expect to receive or
make a lot of calls from the FXO port. If you only need FXO access from time
to time, the HT-488 is quite a bit cheaper.

Regards,

Chris