[Asterisk-Users] 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Kristian Larsson kristian at netatonce.se
Mon Jan 30 03:33:30 MST 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 05:24:12PM +1000, Rob Thomas wrote:
> The question is somewhat ludicrous, and I'm slightly surprised that
> no-one has sat down and done the maths about bandwidth utilization. So I
> did.
>

> To handle 5000 calls coming in over a PRI, you'd need 210 or so T1s or
> 170 E1's.
Yes.

> All of those would generate 320Mega BYTES of data per second (eg,
> 32Gigabit/sec)
No.

Using G711A (ie, "worst case" bandwidth wise):
it's 64kbit/s not 64Kbyte/s
so it's 320Megabits per seconds

Using g729 it's a lot less.

And even if it was 320Megabytes/s that equals a
little over 3Gbps not 32.

> There is no way possible that you're going to pump that amount of data
> through a PC. Don't care about codecs and dialplans, PC's just don't
> have that sort of internal bandwidth from peripherals.
Well, with your above miscalculations, no.
But 3.2Gbps is possible with a few boxes.

And there are PCs with at least four different
PCI-X buses, that's 4GB/s so it might even be
possible with one machine.

Anyway, it's still a lot of calls.