[Asterisk-Users] Access Codes

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Jan 29 15:50:11 MST 2006

Dakota a écrit :

> I would like to setup Asterisk as follows:
>
> When users make inter-office calls they can dial the extensions,
> however if they want to make an external call, that they enter a code
> on their phone, before they external call can go through.
>
> We would like to give each user an access code, this way we can limit
> certain employees from making certain calls to certain places.
>
> What's the best recommendation for this?

"It depends"

You could create an context for each employee with proper permissions.
Then they wouldn't be able to place calls they are not supposed to
unless they were using somebody elses'.

If you wanted to, you could have an extension (effectively making this
"special" extension the password) in each context which "jumps" to the
right context (in which you could play a dialtone, grab some digits and
dial the outside number).

But maybe this is too restrictive. Have you considered telling your
employees "you are not normally allowed to ring such and such number"
and tell them that their calls are monitored (through CDR checking for
example)? This way, you could write a script which would raise an alert
for any unauthorized calls.

In my view, such a system would be better because in rare instances,
employees might have a good reason to place a call they are not normally
allowed to place. Nothing sucks more than a system which goes "bzzzz.
Can't do that" when you actually have a good reason for doing 'that'...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom