[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 488 ata?

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Sun Jan 29 13:41:39 MST 2006

On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Rich Adamson wrote:

>>> Anyone tried to muck around with using the 488 for both fxs and fxo
>>> with asterisk?
>>>
>>> I've been playing with one for the last couple of days, and it looks
>>> like its a little lower quality then the spa3k. No gain settings,
>>> echo
>>> canceller is less then ideal on long analog pstn loops, etc.

Thanks a lot for posting this topic!  I was kind of wondering along the
same lines, but didn't have the whole thing together in my mind.  I am
a newb, so my confidence is lacking....

I have been using the HT-488 for several months now.  My observations
are as follows.

The locking up that is described by the other poster, seems to be to be
related to the routing functions of this device.  I have gotten up to
20 days of uptime (current), by disabling this and using the WAN port
only.  I don't need it's routing anyhow.

This issues with the echo and the volume are the same here.  I
sometimes here echo, and then in the midst of the call I hear a loud
static burst and the echo stops.  I wasn't entirely sure why this was
happening,  but it happens both when using the local FXS,  and when
using a remote AG-168V, so it's clearly and FXO issue.

I have a gut feeling that a gain adjustment for this device might also
help it's echo cancel function?  Is there anyway that anyone knows of
to adjust the gain?

I am going to NEED to replace this device with some other FXO
(external),  so if there are other superior options I would love to
hear them.  I know about the Sipura 3000, but have heard about some
issues with that too...

Thanks,
Marty