[Asterisk-Users] 802.1p

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Fri Jan 27 19:46:08 MST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Mimmus wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to configure some Quality Of Service among an Asterisk
> server
> with RedHat3 and some IP phones on my LAN.
> I read about 802.1p (level 2) QoS, using 3 bits of VLAN tag.
>
> Two questions:
> - do I need to use tagged links (trunks) end-to-end? In other
> words, do all
> ports on all switches from phones to server need to be configured as
> 'tagged'?

If you wish to use tagging, then yes all ports would have to support
it for all devices which are using it. Although in your case it
sounds fairly simple setup, I would suggest just setting your server
and voice ports to high priority in your switch and leave it at that.
Not understanding all the ins and outs of tagging may cause more
problems than you have now. Most switches with management that
support vlans will also support port based priority.
> - how can I configure ethernet card on the Red Hat server
> (Broadcom, tg3
> driver) to support tagged traffic and to mark outgoing packets with
> priority
> 6?
Use port based priority and dont worry about it:)