[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom 501 horrible echo

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri Jan 27 11:07:21 MST 2006

Hi -

>>> I'm running 1.6.2.0041 according to my phone.
>>>
>>> Which firmware "worked" for you?
>>
>> It was the old firmware from when we first got the phones actually.
>> 1.4.x I think. Then I read that they fixed the CID issue and decided
>> we needed an upgrade. I tried it out on my phone, but didn't really
>> notice the problem until we had upgraded the rest. Oh well...
>>

> Also, these are IP 500 SIP.

We've been using Polycom phones since firmware version 1.3.0, and I've used
every version of the firmware since then in production on IP300s, IP500s,
IP501s, IP600s, IP601s and IP4000s.  I've never had this issue on any of
them.  I don't mean to downplay the issue, but it may be possible that you
did, in fact, get a bad batch of phones.  When I've ordered these phones in
quantity before, I've gotten many phones with consecutive serial/mac
addresses, so they were probably manufactured in a bunch.  Maybe a bad batch
of mics got installed on a group of phones?

One thing I was pondering: you are not, by chance, using the same sip.cfg
between version 1.4.1 and version 1.6.2 are you?  The file has changed
significantly between these versions, and certain acoustic settings that
worked with 1.4.1 may not work with 1.6.2 (Not to mention that ipmid.cfg and
sip.cfg were merged in the 1.5.x release).

- Noah