[Asterisk-Users] TDM400 pinout

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Jan 27 05:24:29 MST 2006

> > > Are you sure the TDM400 has RJ45 sockets? The pair I've got here have RJ12
> > > sockets.
> > >
> > > I assume with the mention of BT, you're in the UK. The line is on pins 2+5
> > > of the BT connector, which'd usually translate to the 2 inner pins of an
> > > RJ11 connector (pins 2+3). You should find an old modem cable will do the
> > > job fine.
> > >
> > > If your TDM400 really does have RJ45 sockets, then you'd expect the line to
> > > be on the middle pins (pins 4+5), similar to a modtap used in structured
> > > cabling environments.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > Thanks, yes they are rj45, we have had rj12 in he past I look at the above.
> >
> > Like I said though, pity Digium dont supply the information on there
> > site or with the cards, its a bit like everything in life today.  We are
> > only the customer, but  we're expected to do the running around.
> >

>  Earlier versions of the TDM400 I believe were RJ45. They were changed
> to RJ11 I think I had heard at one point for compliance with some
> telco standards outside the US. But, in either case, yes, the middle
> pair is the "active" pair for your FXO/FXS ports on these cards
> whether RJ11 or RJ45.

If I recall a conversation with Kevin correctly, all TDM400 cards prior
to Rev I were rj11's. With the Rev J card, the connector was changed to
something that looks very close to an rj45 but has a different number.
The rj45-like connector was used for telco standard's compliance in
one/more of the non-US countries (forgot which ones).

At the time of the rj45-like change, there were also some minor pstn
line filtering components added to address those same compliance issues.