[Asterisk-Users] Re: * point to point t1 solution? / alternatives

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Thu Jan 26 14:20:47 MST 2006

Bill Michaelson a écrit :

> I can appreciate the desire to avoid reconfiguring existing hardware,
> but that is part and parcel of what we are discussing: reconfiguring
> hardware.  Without further specification, it has no bearing on how to
> preserve application behavior, which is what we are trying to
> accomplish with this discussion.
>
> I don't wish to second-guess your analysis of the business
> requirements - you are the authority - but your initial post expressed
> a desire to move toward an Asterisk configuration as one of your
> goals.  Toward that end, development of an appropriate dialing plan
> ultimately must happen, and I would think if done properly, would not
> change dialing patterns or extension numbering unless this is what you
> desired.

Exactly what I was thinking. If Asterisk is to replace the nortel
hardware some day, it does need to be doing some signaling. Plus, on a
stable 10ms link, faxes should be really no big deal (providing you use
ulaw / alaw)...

> I must agree that fax and modem performance is problematic, but here
> again, this would be an issue anyway when you transition completely to
> Asterisk, as you implied about your long-term plan.  So perhaps now is
> the time to address this matter.

In a way it sucks that Asterisk doesn't support "modem over ip" type
data, but on the other hand:

Doing a analog (piece of paper) -> digital (scanning process) -> analog
(modulation over TDM) -> digital (conversion to TDMoIP) -> analog
(demodulating on the other fax) -> digital (reconstructing the image in
fax memory) -> analog (printing) conversion doesn't make any kind of
sense...

It might be great for legacy systems, but it's so not the right way of
doing it.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom