[Asterisk-Users] Re: * point to point t1 solution? / alternatives

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Jan 26 14:10:22 MST 2006

Bill,

The question has been answered; Asterisk is NOT capable of providing a
clear PTP TDM path between two boxes configured with t1 cards and any
type of trunking.

I am aware of my other options, and will move forward with the knowledge
that a solution we have implemented with back to back Cisco routers in
the past is not possible with asterisk.

I do intend to move forward with asterisk in this particular
environment, but I wish to integrate asterisk by placing it between the
telco PRI and the primary Nortel switch, not between the primary switch
and a branch office on a T1 tie trunk.

I will leave the leased PTP t1 in place for now since it cannot be
dropped without significant additional work for a temporary situation.

BTW, I did learn that the RAD IPMux-11 will do exactly what we need, but
cost is about $1500/pair, so the break even on a $300/mo leased line is
5 months, in which time we are not planning to need the T1 anymore. With
that said, it is still about $6k less than the Cisco solution.

Thanks for your support on this.